Dental care while pregnant: top tips from your dentist in Donvale
It’s important to keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy at all times, especially when you’re pregnant. Changes in your body at this time — combined with morning sickness —can make you more susceptible to dental problems. Plus, at our holistic dental clinic in Donvale, we realise just how important dental health is to your overall well-being — and that means the well-being of your baby too. Read on to find out more about caring for your dental health during these special months.
Can I go to the dentist in Donvale while pregnant?
Not only can you visit your dental clinic in Donvale while pregnant — but you should! Hormonal changes during pregnancy can leave you more vulnerable to dental problems; if these are left untreated for nine months, they are likely to escalate.
Pregnancy gingivitis treatment at Holistic Dental clinic in Donvale
During pregnancy, your body produces more of a hormone called progesterone. This hormone boosts the blood supply to the mouth and makes your gums more sensitive to plaque and bacteria. A build-up of plaque can lead to inflammation, which is why many women experience swollen, tender and bleeding gums during pregnancy. This is sometimes called pregnancy gingivitis or gum disease. The good news is that pregnancy gingivitis normally goes away once your baby is born. In the meantime, however, your dental clinic in Donvale will be able to help you with treatment.
Looking after your dental health during morning sickness
Your teeth may not be at the forefront of your mind while you’re suffering from morning sickness, but there are simple things you should do to stop the condition from impacting your dental health. When we bring up food from our stomach, it’s often highly acidic, which can wreak havoc on our tooth enamel — particularly on the tongue side of the upper front teeth. To help dilute the acid in your mouth, try to rinse with plain water after each time you’re sick, and remember to keep your mouth clean by brushing regularly with a fluoride toothpaste.
Dental care tips during pregnancy
- Clean your teeth carefully for at least two minutes twice a day. Use a fluoride toothpaste — your dentist in Donvale can recommend one.
- Suffering from morning sickness? Rinse your mouth out afterwards.
- Floss daily to remove debris and prevent plaque build-up.
- Avoid foods and drinks with high sugar content and snack on fruit or plain yoghurt instead.
- If you can’t resist a sugar craving, brush your teeth, drink some water or chew a piece of gum afterwards.
- Avoid mouthwashes that contain alcohol and may irritate your gums.
- Quit smoking, as this can make gum disease worse.
Visit your dentist in Donvale for regular check-ups during pregnancy
Call us on 03 9842 6675 to make an appointment, or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.