Teeth whitening is a very popular procedure in cosmetic dentistry – the reason being is that people believe pearly whites are essential for a great smile. People turn to teeth whitening as a confidence booster to instantly brighten up their look.
Being an in-demand dental treatment, it’s understandable how some people turn to DIY teeth whitening products and fads. In fact, there are plenty of DIY kits available on the market to choose from. However, their effects are usually short term, and they can be harmful to long-term dental health. Some people also experience ill effects from using products like teeth whitening strips.
As experts in teeth whitening in Donvale, we’re sharing this information to help you in your quest to have a beautiful, bright smile in a safe and effective way.
Popular DIY Teeth Whitening Methods
You’ve probably heard about the so-called natural DIY teeth whitening methods that you can try simply by using common household ingredients. But are these methods effective and safe?
• Coconut oil and turmeric powder: This method requires you to mix baking soda, coconut oil and turmeric powder and slathering the mixture on your teeth. While coconut oil and turmeric are beneficial on their own, and baking soda is a great household cleaning product, there’s no scientific evidence supporting the effectiveness of combining these ingredients to whiten teeth.
• Lemon juice and baking soda: The lemon juice and baking soda is probably the most common natural DIY method to whiten and brighten teeth. However, baking soda is abrasive and rubbing it on your teeth regularly can erode the tooth enamel. The effect becomes worse if you mix it with any type of acid – including citric acid from lemons – which can erode tooth enamel.
• Activated charcoal: When activated charcoal entered the scene, it penetrated even the field of dentistry – particularly in relation to teeth whitening. However, there’s no scientific basis to claims that using paste or powder made from activated charcoal can whiten the teeth. Being too abrasive, activated charcoal can contribute to tooth enamel erosion and yellower teeth.
Effective Teeth Whitening in Donvale
Rather than turning to DIY methods that can actually ruin your teeth and destroy precious tooth enamel, you can just go to your dentist for professional teeth whitening that’s safe and effective.
Then you can apply the following tips to maintain a healthy white smile:
• Stay on top of your daily oral care, including flossing and brushing.
• Follow your dental cleaning and check-up schedule.
• Minimise your intake of teeth-staining products like tea, coffee, red wines, soy sauce, etc.
• Stay away from tobacco.
So, rather than risking your oral health by trying unreliable DIY teeth whitening methods, why not come to us for teeth whitening in Donvale?
At Holistic Dental Donvale, we can help you with various oral health concerns, including teeth whitening.
Get in touch today!